Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Upcycling Matters: TerraCycle


Continuing on the topic of upcycling, I want to introduce you to a great company named TerraCycle. TerraCycle is leading the way in upcycling. It all started in 2001 when two Princeton University students set out to change the way people do business. Inspired by a box of worms, these students had a dream: a company could be financially successful while being ecologically and socially responsible.



TerraCycle is making the concept work, one of their first products was plant food made by worms, uh not handmade by worms, but from from their poop. Then the worm poop/plant food is packaged in upcyled trash like milk jugs, and soda bottles. At TerraCycle's website you can hover your cursor over a picture of one their product and see the raw material behind the label..cool.



But they didn't stop there they also make a line of household cleaners, and yes you guessed it, they are green and sold in upcycled soda bottles! Check out their website TerraCycle.net to find out more about their company.

In tomorrow's post I am going to tell you where TerraCycle gets it's trash to upcycle and how you can become part of one of their TerraCycle Brigades! Oh yeah and the company has generously offered an item from their new partnership with YakPak for one of you...but I will tell you all about that in the next post. Thank you for checking out this great company with me.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so excited for your giveaway. I want to hit the reset button on my brain so I can start upcycling everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooooo cool! I've never seen a BUSINESS that upcycles like this before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a compost pile with lots of worms and I love what they do for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE

    Stopping by from SITS to say hi and invite you to our Getaway Giveaway, 2 Round Trip Airline Tickets & a Sweet Spot Pink Putter.

    Help support our charity & maybe even win a super cool prize!

    www.spiritjump.org

    ReplyDelete